My DIY Filing Cabinet...from drab to fab

Thursday, November 11, 2010

I have had this ugly filing cabinet following me from house to house sitting in the garage taking up space. It was on its way to the tip and a brand new model was about to be bought to replace it when I thought perhaps a paint job would be a good idea and then I thought about wallpapering it. I did a bit of research and began the project. I LOVE the results.

What you will need

Modge Podge (can be purchased from Art Stores, Spotlight, Scrapbooking Stores)
Spray Paint ( I used 2 cans)
Wallpaper or Scrapbooking paper
Ruler
Rotary Cutter
Sponge Brush



So this is the before shot after I had sprayed the handles.



I measured the drawer which is exactly A3 size which made it easy, then very carefully measured the drawers and made my template which you can see here.



On one drawer I did cut the paper a little larger hoping to fold back the edges and have a clean look but they would not stay glued down so I made them all the exact size as the drawer.

I tried spray adhesive but it did not work on the metal and found modge podge worked a treat. I then used the modge podge on top of the paper which also acts as a sealant.

This is one drawer down and me getting very excited, jumping up and down actually.



I then removed all the drawers and sprayed the whole cabinet, it took 3 coats for a good coverage.

This is my finished result.........I LOVE it sooooooo much and cant wait to get it to the new house next week and into my long awaited craft room.



Hope you enjoyed this DIY, feel free to ask me any questions.

You Might Also Like

45 comments

Like Us On Facebook

Blog Archive

pop up subscription form